Q&A with Surfactants and Detergents Division Award Winner: Jinning Liu
1. What was your reaction when you learned you won the Surfactants and Detergents Division?
I did not expect to receive this award because it was my first time applying AOCS awards. I heard my labmates got their AOCS awards a week before finding out and thought I had no chance in winning, then I received the good news. It was so uplifting and encouraging to motivate my research life.
2. How did you get started in the area of focus that you are studying?
Food has always been one of always my favorite things. Then I started being eager to learn more about the science behind it.
3. What challenges have you overcome during your course of study?
At the beginning when I first started my project, I found it hard to have a solid result. I kept looking up literature reviews to see how other researchers deal with the problem and finally figured out an effective approach to get a consistent result.
4. Do you have any words of wisdom for other AOCS student members?
Nothing Is Impossible!
5. How has winning the AOCS Surfactants and Detergents Division Award helped you develop as a young scientist?
Winning the award helped me improve my confidence in this field. It provided a chance to let more scientists get to know what I’ve done. This will motivate me to explore more on my research. I also hope my project can provide inspiration to other scientists who have the same interests.
6. Can you tell us about your current research?
My current research focuses on controlling the release of bioactive components in multiple emulsions by tailoring the osmotic stress.